Ohio vehicle registrations can be renewed with the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) in a number of ways. When your registration is going to expire, you can renew online, by phone, through the mail, or in person at the Deputy Registrar’s Office. Below you will find information to help you along your way. Go to www.oplates.com for further information and instructions.
HOW TO ACCESS BMV RECORDS?
To access your BMV records, log in by entering the following information:
- Ohio Driver License / ID Card number, OR
- If you do not have a License or ID card in your possession and you received a letter from the BMV, use the number indicated below.
- Your Date of Birth
- First letter of your Last name
- Last 4 digits of your Social Security Number
- Enter the code shown
- Click on login.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL CYCLES IN OHIO
When you register and renew your vehicle, you have several options for how long you’d like your registration cycle to be:
- 1-year registration.
- 2-year registration.
- Up to a 5-year registration. (Only available to vehicles outside the 7 counties that require an inspection.)
Your registration expires on your birthday, and it is by this date that you will be required to renew.
You are NOT ELIGIBLE for a 2-year registration if your vehicle:
- Carries an apportioned license plate under the international registration plan.
- Is considered a special vehicle(e.g. off-highway motorcycles, snowmobiles, etc.).
- These registrations expire every 3 years on December 31
- Will require an inspection within the next succeeding registration year.
RENEW OHIO VEHICLE REGISTRATION ONLINE
Even though your renewal notice says you may renew online, you still need to make sure you meet all the requirements before you renew your vehicle registration on the Ohio online renewal page.
Online renewal eligibility requirements:
- The vehicle must be currently registered with the Ohio BMV.
- You own the vehicle.
- All the personal and vehicular information on your registration renewal is correct.
- You do not need to submit any additional documents in order to complete your registration (i.e. receipt of tickets paid).
- You have a valid credit card (MasterCard, VISA, Discover, and American Express) or a checking account for payment.
- You know your license plate number.
- You have a valid Social Security number.
- The vehicle has a current emissions inspection, if you live in an E-Check county (see “Vehicle Inspections” below).
If you meet all of the above requirements and/or have made the necessary changes to the OH BMV information, visit the BMV’s online plate service, www.oplates.com, and:
- Submit the last 4 digits of your Social Security number.
- Enter your license plate number.
- Pay your renewal fees (see “Registration Renewal Fees” below).
- A $10late fee will be added if your registration has been expired for more than 30 days.
You will receive your new registration and/or license plates within 10 business days.